Chuck Palahniuk - Lullaby

I think I start reading most of Chuck's books with pretty high expectations.  He has a writing style all his own and he does own it, that's for sure.  This book was no different.  It was a rather short, quick read - but that could have been because I kept wanting to know what happened next.
     The main character of the story struggles with the emotional scarring of losing both his wife and child and being blamed for it.  Later, after further investigation, he realizes that it's because of a poem, a 'Culling Song' that his family died and he sets out on a quest to destroy it once and for all.  He meets some quirky individuals that you love to hate or hate to love, not sure which - but that's pretty much the premise of the book.
     Now, I know Palahniuk often receives a generous amount of criticism because of his writing style and content.  I understand that, and sometimes find myself thinking 'wtf' while I'm reading one of his novels.  But, I guess the point is, at the end of every book I've read - whether I've loved or hated it - it's stuck with me.  I tend to find myself thinking about the characters later on, or about certain situations that the main character in the book found himself/herself in.  Or just about the story itself.  I guess that, to me, makes me keep coming back for more when it comes to Chuck's novels.  I'd give this book a 3.5/5.  It wasn't bad.  Made my list at least.  But as you see as you, whoever you are, read more of my reviews - a lot of twisted and strange novels may make the list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet Brunette Book Babe

heatherhoolala@gmail.com