We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver

     This book is bleak.  I mean that in a good way.  The entire book is made up through a series of letters a woman is writing to her husband, the subject matter and content of these letters all revolve around their mutual son's behavior and life.  Throughout the letters, an entire story unfolds about a very troubled boy and what price the family had to pay for Kevin's issues.  
     I thoroughly enjoy stories that are closely linked to real life tragedy, so this book, of course, piqued my curiosity.  The manner in which it's written - the letter style - is not new to me, however, the wording throughout the story is beautiful.  I found myself cringing and not wanting to read on, but like a car accident, couldn't pull my eyes away from the inevitable unfolding story-line.       This book was also made into a movie, which I promptly watched after.  I know this isn't a movie review, but for those of you who like reading a book, then seeing the characters come to life on screen, this book is for you.  They did an excellent job maintaining close proximity to the book's dialogue, and the choice in actors and actresses seemed very fitting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet Brunette Book Babe

heatherhoolala@gmail.com