George Orwell - 1984


     This is a book that most people I know have read - it was one of the books they assigned as mandatory reading in a lot of high schools.  I, however, didn't get a chance to read it, nor was it ever assigned in school.  I received things like 'The Odyssey' and 'Lord of the Flies' (also good books!)  Anyway, I finally decided I'd read the book that started "Big Brother" arguments on various political forums and social media.  I was curious.
     Winston Smith lives in the future, 1984 to be exact, and is a citizen of Oceania.  The nation has been taken over by Big Brother, and he has policed the masses with fear while completely abolishing the Constitution.  There are new ways to talk, words that are no longer in use of the vocabulary, but most importantly - there are 'Thought Police' watching Winston's every move.  Winston starts to remember a time before Big Brother took over, and his thoughts propel him into 'thought crime', almost unintentionally.  He then meets a woman who shares his opposition of Big Brother, and they eventually enlist themselves into 'The Brotherhood', a group of people who solely oppose the workings and all that Big Brother embodies.  The plan is a revolution.
     'Glad' I picked up the book is somewhat of an understatement, but not too much of one, if that makes sense.  I enjoyed it, it made me think, and  now I know what Big Brother means when the fanatics start going off.  Thanks, Orwell!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet Brunette Book Babe

heatherhoolala@gmail.com